Meditation seems to be all the rage these days! And let me tell you, it continues to live up to everyone’s expectations. Meditating can be very helpful, especially in these uncertain times when a lot, and I mean a lot, is shifting in our everyday existence. People meditate for various reasons, but overall, the experience will lead to a more grounded, present self that invites compassion, positivity, and an overall sense of calm, allowing you to move forward in your day with more love and connection to yourself and to others. It has been demonstrated that just 10 days of consistent meditation practice has wide-ranging benefits, from improving sleep and relationships to reducing anxiety and stress.
You do not need to be a guru to meditate and sometimes sitting down to meditate when you don’t really know what you’re doing can seem more stressful than stress relieving. You may find yourself wound up in a flurry of questions like How do I do it? When should I do it? How long should I do it for? Am I supposed to sit up the entire time? How do I clear my mind of all thoughts? Don’t worry, you are not alone in feeling this way or having these questions when it comes to starting a meditation practice. Everyone must start somewhere and right now, right here is the perfect time and place. If you are someone who has meditated before, either at home or with others, and are looking for additional ways to expand your meditation practice, this could be the perfect time to explore online options for guided and solo meditation!
Here you will find all kinds of resources that will either help you begin your meditation journey or provide new ways to grow your practice. From apps to blogs to newly written articles, please use this this site as a way to connect more to yourself and, subsequently, with others as this social distancing continues.
To help you start out meditation, there are more than just a handful of apps out there and it can get confusing deciding which one would best suit you, especially if you are new to meditation. Whether you are a zen guru when it comes to meditating or you feel like Bambi on ice, we have put together a few suggestions that, no matter your experience, will help you expand and grow your mindfulness practice.
There are a number of considerations for choosing an app that is right for you and the list is quite daunting.
Those considerations include:
- The number of meditations offered by the APP
- Variety of topics
- Music / Sounds
- Number of contributors to the APP
- Appealing graphic design
- Ease of use and navigation of the APP
- Guidance for first-time meditators
- * Cost for a membership (meaning how many meditations can you get for free vs. what becomes available as a Premium member) *
- How well the APP motivates you to continue meditating long term (so – does the APP leave you wanting to come back for more?)
- Does the APP include a journal feature, meditation tracking or reminders to meditate each day?
- Practices for different situations in the user’s daily routine
* Membership costs vary depending on the app you choose and most offer a free trial where you are able to cancel without penalty within the trial time if the app doesn’t resonate with you. Yearly memberships are often a better deal than paying for your membership monthly. Be sure to read the fine print of each app when it comes to membership costs, billing cycles and how to cancel recurring subscriptions *
To help cut through the clutter, here are 6 meditation apps for you to explore and see which one you jive with. Our advice…try a few. Since most offer a free 7 (or more) day trial before full purchase of a Premium membership, you really do have the chance to see what you like best!
In no particular order, here are some of our suggestions.