For those of you in the routine of going to your local yoga studio to unwind after a long day at the office, or to get some quality “me” time, having local studios temporarily close due to COVID-19 could be quite challenging. You are not alone in being one of those yogis missing the routine and connection of going to your local yoga studio. But hey, isn’t this what yoga prepares us for? To be mindful, to be in the present moment, to be able to flow with what life brings our way, to breathe through it? In these times of uncertainty, practicing yoga at home can be a great way to ground you and give your mind and body a reset. For those not used to practicing at home, it could feel a little different at first. Breath and movement without a teacher leading you or the presence of other bodies sharing the space with you can feel a bit awkward and perhaps a little lonely until you get use to it. Consider that taking your practice ‘online’ is a great way to really expand you as a yogi. It will bring you into some new spaces that perhaps you haven’t explored before and introduce you to a multitude of new teachers from all over the world. For those on the other end of the spectrum, those new to yoga who have thought of trying yoga, but felt intimated going to a studio, now is a great time to try it from the comfort of your own home.
Here you will find a multitude of resources that will continue to grow as social distancing continues. From apps to YouTube channel recommendations; from yoga influencers around the globe to newly created blog posts, you will be inspired and motivated to flow!
From the ‘never tried’ yogis to the ‘I can touch my toes and then some’ yogis, you will find what you need to start or continue your journey here! So, grab your mat and pull on your yoga pants, it’s time to get bendy!
Since there are many apps, websites and YouTube channels out there offering various types of yoga, for all ages and experience levels, starting the search for an app or site that resonates with you could get overwhelming. You could find yourself going down the rabbit hole of searching, rather than actually practicing, so we have pulled together some of our faves to short circuit your searching. Before you dive in, here are some considerations for choosing an app that is right for you!
- Number of yoga classes offered by the app
- Type / variety of yoga
- Music / Sounds
- Number of yoga teachers contributing to the app
- Appealing graphic design
- Ease of use and navigation of the app
- Guidance for first time yogis
- * Cost for a membership (meaning how many yoga classes can you get for free vs. what becomes available as a Premium member) *
- How well the app motivates you to continue practicing yoga long term (does the app leave you wanting to come back for more?)
- Does the app include daily tracking, check-ins or reminders to help you with your yoga journey?
* Membership costs vary depending on the app you choose and most offer a free trial where you are able to cancel without penalty within the trial time if the app doesn’t resonate with you. Yearly memberships are often a better deal than paying for your membership monthly. Be sure to read the fine print of each app when it comes to membership costs, billing cycles and how to cancel recurring subscriptions *
To get you started, check out these apps!
Apps for iPhones, Androids and Tablets: